City View Funeral Home Cemetery & Crematorium - Salem Oregon
City View
Funeral Home
Cemetery &
Family Owned &
Operated Since
Call 24 hours - Office Hours 9-5

What to Do Should a Death Happen in Your Family

It is important to know the proper procedure for contacting the necessary authorities or individuals that will assist you during this time. Many families have opted to use a hospice or health care agency in place of a hospital to assist them while they are coping with a family member’s life-threatening illness. After the death occurs, this agency will contact the physician, medical examiner, and the funeral home so that the family will not be further burdened during this emotional time. The medical examiner’s office must be notified of all deaths occurring in a private residence unless the person is on Hospice care. If the loved one is under the care of a physician rather than hospice or home health care, family or friends may call the funeral home directly. The funeral home will then take care of contacting the appropriate personnel or agency.

If 911 has been called and the police or fire/ambulance respond to your home, they will proceed with the proper investigation, and will notify the funeral home. If a death has occurred at a home while no one was in attendance, the police will need to be summoned to investigate. They, in turn, will notify the medical examiner, who will notify the funeral home. When a death occurs at a hospital or other institution, the hospital staff will notify the funeral home. If the physician is not aware of which funeral home to call, he or she will ask the family for this information. Sometimes, physicians request the information in advance. Should you have any concerns or further questions about the proper procedure, please contact your funeral home for assistance. At City View Funeral Home & Cemetery, we are here for you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to assist you in your time of need. Advance planning gives you a guideline that can help answer many questions and alleviate the concern as to what should be done should a death happen in your family.

Practical Considerations

If a death should occur and you are unsure what to do, you may call the funeral home and they will assist you in notifying the proper agencies.

  • Contact your clergy if appropriate

  • Contact those concerned: immediate family, close friends, colleagues, attorney

  • Collect information for the death certificate: full name and middle initial of the deceased, date and place of birth, Social Security number, education, military record, marital status, father's name, mother's name, and mother's maiden name

  • Notify relevant organizations: life insurance companies, bank or credit union, trade union, fraternal organizations, military organizations, Internal Revenue Service, and any financial representative such as a broker (your broker and the IRS will require a copy of the death certificate)

  • Contact the Social Security Administration (1-800-772-1213) to retire the Social Security number and to pursue any appropriate benefits

  • Contact the Veteran's Administration if appropriate (1-503-373-2095); they will request military discharge information
    • If you are the spouse of a veteran, contact the Assessor's office in Marion County (1-503-588-5144) or Polk County (1-503-623-8391) for a possible reduction in taxes

  • Locate the will and notify the lawyer and executor

Community Resources

Salem Florists

Pemberton's Inc. 1-800-285-5412
Heath Florist 1-503-363-9179
Green Thumb Flower Box 1-503-363-1607
Anderson McIlnay Florist 1-503-364-9770
Olson Florist 1-503-363-7166


Bereavement Rates
Most airlines offer discounts to families with a letter provided by the funeral home.

  • Portland International Airport (PDX), 60 miles north of the Salem/Keizer area
  • Hut Airport Limousine (service between Portland International Airport and Salem) 1-503-363-8059

Hotels & Motels

Best Western - Mill Creek Inn* 1-503-585-3332, 1-800-346-9659
Best Western - Pacific Hwy Inn* 1-503-390-3200, 1-800-832-8905
Grand Hotel 1-503-540-7800
Holiday Inn Express* 1-503-391-7000, 1-800-Holiday
New Kings Inn 1-503-581-1559
Phoenix Inn* 1-800-445-4498
Red Lion Hotel Salem* 1-503-370-7835
Salem Comfort Suites* 1-503-585-9705

*Ask if bereavement rates are available.

Social Services Resources

Mid Willamette Valley Senior Services Agency 1-503-304-3400

Support Groups for Parents & Children

Compassionate Friends 1-503-248-0102 Support group for parents who have lost a child
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome of Oregon 1-503-285-7346  
Survivors of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome 1-503-838-6840